Child and Youth Protection
The core value of the OCYP is the protection of children from sexual abuse.
We strive to build trust and positive relationships in our community by:
- Acknowledging and repenting for the failures of the past
- Providing care and support
- Educating and training
- Responding appropriately to allegations
- Comply with the Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People.
- Reach out to victims and their families and demonstrate a sincere commitment to their spiritual and emotional well-being.
- Educate children about their rights to a safe environment and empower them to speak up.
- Train adults to recognize warning signs, to report suspicions of sexual abuse and foster safe environments for children.
- Report all allegations of sexual abuse to civil authorities.
- Investigate all allegations of sexual abuse of a minor against clerics, employees and volunteers of the diocese, providing findings to the Independent Review Board for recommendations to the Bishop.