Welcome to the Office of the Permanent Diaconate for the Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph!
Deacons are called to be the servant of all. Among other tasks, it is the task of deacons to “assist the bishop and priests in the celebration of the divine mysteries, above all the Eucharist, in the distribution of Holy Communion, in assisting at and blessing marriages, in the proclamation of the Gospel and preaching, in presiding over funerals, and in dedicating themselves to the various ministries of charity.”—Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1570
Through this site, our objectives are to:
- Share information: Many people are not sure what a deacon is, what deacons do and why someone would want to become a deacon.
- Aid discernment: We know some men are considering the Diaconate as a ministry but are not yet ready for phone conversations or letters, unwanted attention or inclusion on a mailing list; that is understandable. The Holy Spirit will guide you in your call to God’s service. If you feel the Holy Spirit is guiding you to the Diaconate, feel free to contact any of the directors. We have shared the journey. If you know a deacon, feel free to contact him to discuss your questions too.
- Provide formation: For those involved in formation for the Diaconate, this site provides current information about upcoming classes, retreats, seminars and workshops.
- Continue Education: For ordained deacons, this site offers information on continuing education and events, current and archived issues of newsletters, and the Service Acknowledgement Form.
We hope you will always feel free to call us or send an email if you have questions or would like to talk.
IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES AND INFORMATION
The schedule for the next class of formation:
- Information and Discernment Sessions – Early to Mid-2017 (There will be informational meetings in Mid-June to July.)
- Applications accepted July-September 2017
- Applications processed and interviews conducted September to November 2017
- Letters of acceptance, deferral or denial will be sent December 2017
- Aspirancy begins January 2018
PRAYER FOR DEACONS
Sts. Stephen, Lawrence and Francis of Assisi are patron saints of the diaconate community. St. Stephen, the protomartyr, was among the first deacons of the Church, martyred for his bold proclamation of the truth of Jesus Christ. St. Lawrence, who was martyred in the 3rd century, was a deacon in Rome known for his care and concern for the poor. St. Francis of Assisi, founder of all Franciscan orders, was an ordained deacon. His prayer is a central part of diaconal charism.
Prayer of Saint Francis
Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master,
grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood, as to understand;
to be loved, as to love;
for it is in giving that we receive,
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.