The Diocese has a rich history and tradition of liturgical music to celebrate our faith and to edify the Liturgy.
Here you will find information about music ministry opportunities, liturgy planning resources, official church documents on music, and leadership opportunities to help support, and grow the quality of liturgical music in our diocese.
Below are links with information about collaborative music ministry opportunities, and online music planning and education resources.
Music Ministry Opportunities
The Kansas City-St. Joseph Diocesan Choir is a music ministry dedicated to the mission of fostering and encouraging full, conscious, and active participation in the liturgy in the Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph.
The Choir is composed of singers from all walks of life throughout the Diocese, all striving towards excellence in this unique ministry of the Church. Many are active in their parishes as cantor, choir member, choir director, or accompanist. The goal is to have each parish that has an established choir and/or cantor program to join with the other diocesan choir members for ONE liturgy event each year or to send two to four singers to represent their community in the diocesan choir for some or all of the scheduled diocesan liturgies.
The Choir rehearses to prepare for special diocesan celebrations. These include:
- Rite of Election
- Adult confirmation
- Golden wedding anniversary
- Corpus Christi procession when held on the Missouri side of the state line.
- Other events such as the Bishop’s awards may be added as well.
Rehearsals take place at the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception in downtown Kansas City. In the future we hope to expand rehearsals to more locations to give more singers an opportunity to participate. Parishes who can host rehearsals and music leaders who can facilitate regional rehearsals in preparation for these events should email Dr. Pearson at email@example.com for more information.
Choirs from parishes throughout the Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph are invited and welcome to share their talents at the Cathedral. Contact Dr. Mario Pearson to make arrangements.
4th Sunday Cathedral Choir
The Fourth Sunday choir is an extension of the diocesan choir that invites singers and directors to gather four times a year to make music and pray together at the Cathedral. Learn More…
Diocesan Music Development Team
Our diocese is blessed with many talented and dedicated musicians who devote their time serving through music ministry, in full-time, part-time, and volunteer positions.
The Diocesan Music Development Team will be formed in the near future of experienced, veteran music directors from our diocese. They will serve as a consultative, planning and leadership body, meeting 4 times a year to discuss, plan, prepare, create, oversee and execute initiatives in the areas listed below, as well as initiatives that arise from meeting discussions. They will also advise the Office of Worship on matters pertaining to the broad scope of music in parishes.
The Development team will:
1. Create a needs assessment based on parish surveys
2. Set goals and objectives to implement a diocesan education, training and support program for parishes.
3. Set short term and long term goals in the broad areas of: Education, Choir development, Cantor development, Music program support, and Instrumental music support
o Technology in music
4. Develop teams to serve as mentors to parishes.
5. Provide idea input with suggested people resources in our diocese and beyond to assist with the areas listed as well as areas stemming from meeting discussions
6. Create stages and phases of implementation
7. Appoint a leader from within or outside the members of the development team to create subcommittee(s) and teams of volunteers to implement goals and objectives
8. Follow up discussion from area reports