St. Matthew Apostle & Our Lady of the Coronation Parishes Amalgamation, Naming
Decree Amalgamating Saint Matthew Apostle Parish, Kansas City, to Our Lady of the Coronation Parish, Grandview
- On October 6, 2020, a decree amalgamating Saint Matthew Apostle Parish, Kansas City, to Our Lady of the Coronation Parish, Grandview, was promulgated.
- The decree referenced above additionally acknowledged a local collaboration or procedure to be engaged whereby the two parish communities specifically explore the possibility of becoming “re-named after a desired process among the parishioners and pastor to present three possible names to me by October 28, 2020, so that either a new name or of remaining Coronation of Our Lady Parish can be decreed on November 4, 2020.”
- The Pastor of Coronation of Our Lady Parish and St. Matthew Apostle Parish engaged a process of a possible renaming of Coronation of Our Lady Parish.
- Having considered the law and the facts, the undersigned Diocesan Bishop hereby issues this Decree.
Canon 515, §2: It is only for the diocesan bishop to erect, suppress, or alter parishes. He is neither to erect, suppress, nor alter notably parishes, unless he has heard the presbyteral council.
- Willingly encouraging everything in our powers to provide more suitably for the good of souls;
- Acknowledging the same canonical process attested to the same above referenced decree dated October 6, 2020;
- And having considered the law and the facts;
- And having determined that the good of souls requires it;
- I have determined it remains necessary and proper that Saint Matthew Apostle Parish, Kansas City, and Coronation of Our Lady Parish, Grandview, be united and amalgamated, and that from this extinctive-union and amalgamation, upon the recommendation of the Pastor and the parishioners, Coronation of Our Lady Parish, will retain its name unchanged.
I, the undersigned Bishop of Kansas City-St. Joseph, exercising my ordinary power and in virtue of canon 515, §2, reiterate here my decree dated October 6, 2020, that Saint Matthew Apostle Parish, Kansas City, with all the rights, obligations, and privileges accorded it by law, be and is hereto united to and amalgamated with Coronation of Our Lady Parish, Grandview, at the conclusion of its final Mass I intend to preside on the Solemnity of Christ the King, Sunday, November 22, 2020.
The new Parish shall comprise the territory of the extinct Saint Matthew Apostle Parish as well as the current territory of Coronation of Our Lady Parish. Coronation of Our Lady Parish remains in Deanery V.
The intentions of the founders and donors regarding the temporal goods and patrimonial rights proper to the extinct Parish of Saint Matthew Apostle must be respected. In addition, the patrimonial goods, rights and obligations of the extinct Saint Matthew Apostle Parish must be defined and allocated in accordance with the norm of law (cc. 121-122).
All the parish and sacramental records of Saint Matthew Apostle Parish and Coronation of Our Lady Parish are to be properly preserved and safeguarded by Coronation of Our Lady Parish in accordance with the norm of law.
This Decree is to be effective on October 30, 2020.
This Decree is to be communicated to the Pastor of the parishes concerned (c. 532). The Pastor may challenge this Decree within the peremptory time limit of ten days from the legitimate notification of the Decree in accordance with the norm of law (c. 1732, §2).
Given in the chancery of the Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph
Most Reverend James V. Johnston, Jr.
Bishop of Kansas City-St. Joseph
Very Reverend Kenneth A. Riley