- This event has passed.
April 26: Day of Prayer in Atonement for those Harmed by Sexual Abuse
“It’s an important step for the Church to publicly profess its apology for the harm caused to victim-survivors by their perpetrators and the mishandling of the abuse within the Church.” Whitney True-Francis, victim assistance coordinator for the Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph
April 26 | Day of Prayer in Atonement for those Harmed by Sexual Abuse
Each year since 2017, the Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph sets aside one day during Child Abuse Prevention Month devoted to prayer in atonement for those harmed by sexual abuse in the Catholic Church. This started with the Service of Lament in 2016, where Bishop James Johnston made five commitments to the people of the diocese which included naming April 26 as an Annual Day of Prayer. Bishop Johnston will celebrate Mass on April 26, 2022, at 12:15 p.m. at the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception to which the entire community is invited.
Many events and expressions of atonement, support and educational awareness are planned throughout the month in our diocese as we all journey together along the path of healing and hope.
SERVICES AND GATHERINGS
April 26 | Diocese Day of Prayer in Atonement for Those Harmed by Sexual Abuse
- 12:15 pm – 1:15 pm | Mass | Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, 416 W 12th St., Kansas City. Planned by the diocese, this Mass will recognize the 5th annual Day of Prayer. Bishop Johnston will be the presider. Journey to Bethany is providing a counselor after Mass for those who would like to talk. Clergy will also be available after Mass.
- 6:30 pm – 7:30 pm | Prayer Service | St. Francis Xavier, 1001 East 52nd Street, Kansas City, MO. Lay-led service inspired by Seeking Light in the Darkness, created by clergy abuse survivors
- 7:00 pm – 7:30 pm | Stations of the Cross in Atonement for Abuse and for Healing for All | St. Therese (North), 7207 MO-9, Parkville
April 27: Vision of Hope Art Show
Featuring art by junior high students from diocesan schools—Wednesday April 27th in the Cardinal Baum room at the Catholic Center.
April 27: Survivor Gathering – Survivors are invited to gather and share poems, stories, songs, art or other things that help or to listen as others share. Please RSVP to Whitney True-Francis at firstname.lastname@example.org for location details.
During April: Traveling Pinwheel Garden
The pinwheel is the symbol of child abuse prevention because, by its very nature, it connotes playfulness, joy, and childhood. For survivors of clergy sexual abuse in our diocese, the innocence of childhood was replaced by shame and fear. With this traveling display we hope to honor survivors and let them know that there are people who care about them.
- April 7-12 | Saint Thomas More, 11822 Holmes Rd, Kansas City
- April 23-26 | Saint Francis Xavier, 1001 East 52nd Street, Kansas City
- April 28-May 1 | Country Club Plaza, corner of Ward Parkway and Mill Creek Parkway
- All month | inside the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, 416 W 12th St., Kansas City
For more events, details and links visit journeytobethany.org/pinwheels
If you experienced sexual abuse as a minor by a member of Catholic clergy, religious or Church volunteer, please consider making a report. Contact Independent Ombudsman Joe Crayon at email@example.com.